This whole month has been a wonderful surprise. I remember first starting this blog and thinking “Will it be worth it?” And yes, it’s been completely worth it and the little chats with all these amazing fellow book bloggers and readers have been incredible. The energy I’ve both used and derived in writing about reading everyday has also been beyond my imagining.
This reading blog has been my foremost hobby and really introduced structure and commitment into my reading life. Very grateful to all followers and all you’ve contributed by being here. If you’re reading this- thanks!!
During the month of August I read 11 books and 9 graphic novels/manga volumes. 20 titles in all.
What’s funny is that it feels like I’ve read less this month than in July, which isn’t accurate but July’s reads were just so heavy and.. well, this month’s were heavy too now that I think of it. Perhaps I’m developing something of a callous for heavy books. :’D Planning on reading some light and fluffier stuff in September. Right after I finish Misery by Stephen King. For some reason I am utterly committed to finally starting and reading a Stephen King book and Misery speaks to me.
Top 3 favorites were The Hate U Give (high quality, thought-provoking YA) The Turn Of The Key (atmospheric, gothic thriller) and The Hating Game (a fun and witty enemies-to-lovers romance.) Lots of ‘The’ titles and probably a sign that book titles starting with “The” are good luck.
Almost all Manga Classics ARCs from Netgalley. So when I first joined Netgalley I did that thing you’re not supposed to do and tried to request everything. I was approved for a shocking lot of stuff but am slowly but surely increasing that percentage rate. My favorite graphic novels this month were The Count of Monte Cristo (first I’d read of the month, a great storyline) Les Miserables (So emotional, left me determined to read the source material) and Deep Scar (super pretty art style.)
Here is a full index of the titles and their review links, and some extra info.
Books of August
- Angellfall by Susan Ee – Review Link / YA, Dystopian
- The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls – Review Link / Memoir
- Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami – Review Link / Literary Fiction
- The Turn Of The Key by Ruth Ware – Review Link / Thriller
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas – Review Link / YA
- Queen Of Vampire Hearts by Jeanette Rose – GR Review Link / Romance
- Girl Made Of Stars – Review Link / YA
- Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane – Review Link / Literary Fiction
- The Hating Game by Sally Thorne – Review Link / Romance
- All Systems Red by Martha Wells – Review Link / Sci-Fi
- The Harp Of Kings by Juliet Marillier – Review Link / Fantasy
Graphic Novels / Manga of August
- Manga Classics – The Count Of Monte Cristo – Review Link
- Manga Classics – Macbeth – Review Link
- Manga Classics – Les Miserables – Review Link
- Manga Classics – Sense and Sensibility – Review Link
- Manga Classics – Romeo and Juliet – Review Link
- Manga Classics – The Scarlet Letter – Review Link
- Manga Classics – Adventures of Huckleberry Finn – Review Link
- Deep Scar by Rossella Sergi – Review Link
- Mooncakes by Suzanne Walker & Wendy Xu – Review Link
Have any of you read any of these titles or have them on your TBR? I’ve been looking at the August wrap up posts of people I’m following and have been adding more and more amazing-looking books to my TBR. Also hoping to read as enthusiastically in September, mainly ARCs and books I’ve been fortunate to receive for review that are coming soon or already released. As always-